Monday, December 28, 2009

12/20 Show at Owen's House

On 12/20 Disowned was slated to play a show with Active Aggressive, Digne Y Rebelde, and Drugshit (all local hardcore/punk bands) and Malady from Tiajuana, Mexico - but they cancelled. I designed the flyer below, I will scan in a better copy when I get to a good scanner at work.

We had extended our set from a scant five to a meaty eight, plus a holiday favorite - 'Fuck Christmas' by FEAR. The acoustics were pretty off but people enjoyed our new material and extended set.


Fun fact: Owen and Jorge (the lead singer for All Systems Fail/
guy in the background) are wearing the same shirt from this LA
noise punk band Dead Noise we met a couple days earlier at a show.


Michael is hilarious to watch drum - besides being an amazing
drummer he gets really into it and makes faces.



The obligatory shot of me looking goofy and focused.


This picture will make more sense in a paragraph.

Next up was Active Aggressor - a local favorite who play fast, female fronted old school hardcore. Everyone loves them and since they have been around for a while, sing along and get really really riled up.



Which is why while moshing, someone busted through the window that Owen is standing on in the above picture. I fortuitously captured the exact moment of Owen seeing someone go through his ground floor window. Also in the picture - just to the right of Owen - is my good friend Marek, who came up from Austin, TX for the holidays.



Thanks to my quick thinking and Boy Scout training, I was able to make this awesome cardboard sheet by cutting up liquor boxes and interlocking them. Owen is stressed out as hell because it was about -15 C outside and there is a broken window. Marek is also in the picture, looking like a jolly Polack.


Awesomely enough, Active Aggressive kept playing the entire time with people moshing. After the set, and after we had patched up the window, without even asking people got a donation bowl together and in a couple of minutes everyone had pitched in enough to cover the new window and then some. It was pretty cool. It got me thinking about how Salt Lake has a tight knit enough group of people who will:

a) allow a show in their houses for extremely loud, gross, scary looking kids
b) play free shows - I have never been to a hardcore/punk show with a ticket or cover price
c) the moment something goes down - be it someone falling down in the pit, being out of gas/needing a ride, or crashing through a window - there are immediately twenty pairs of hands willing to give everything they have to help out.

I constantly scrutinize people, and can't help but wonder "What is their life worth? What are they doing that is worthwhile to justify their continued breathing?" I am usually pressed to come up with anything. Now, whenever I do that at a show, I can tell myself "These people will be good to each other and help to their fullest extent." It's more than I can say for most of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment