Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sky Jelly Fish



I haven't been drawing a lot lately since I have been so busy with lab work and school. Today was a nice change to that by taking some acid with Jordan and drawing. We began by playing D&D, in which the characters were exploring a series of Dwarven tombs laid out according to genealogy of the Dwarven Thanes. After the acid started kicking in it was nigh impossible to keep focus and tell a story and I became entranced by my sketchpad.

The strangest sensation was feeling completely detached from my hands, not being cognizant of their working as I was drawing. It became as though my mind would visualize it and it would start magically flowing and appear on the paper. It was a lot of fun, and I got pretty lost in my own little world, as I tend to do when I draw.

There are lots of small vignettes, starting with the map of the Dwarven Thanes up in the right hand corner. In the middle, there is the Sky Jellyfish, who is sweeping across a plateau towards a city and melding into the clouds. Coming out of the clouds is a monster with a steam leak, which culminates in a shai-hulud (the worms from Dune.) To the bottom is a drippy cave of stalactites and an unholy toothed altar. Up at the top there is a mushroom cloud with a psychedelic skull which also kind of looks like a large tree rising up.

Though nowhere near as epic as 'Skycat and the World of Tomorrow' this is some solid art on my part, and I had a lot of fun drawing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment